Tuesday 7 August 2018

A really hard time...

After seeing the wife off to work where she will look at peoples backsides and then tell me all about them later over dinner I can finally sit down here on a Monday morning with the intention of moving forward on Caldera. A weekend of toil and turmoil with many incarnations of interiors makes me feel like giving up at times but I've never given up on anything in my life. 

Great ideas from the community over on Discord keep ever coming and attempt to side track me into leaving what I am doing and playing with the new suggestions but, I had a plan and, I shall stick to it.

My plan has been slightly thwarted by the indignant light bug and forced me to split some interiors into separate meshes (which turned out more work that I perceived) and the very dull task of finding and creating textures that not only look good, but fit in with the Morrowind style.

The video I made in my last post included some very lazy texturing indeed. I just used the exterior textures and repeated the same pattern for the interior. Not something that worried me of course because the whole point of making the models was to get them viable and into the world. Do they work? Yes indeed. Were the textures bloody ugly? Yes indeed.

It does appear that from the vast response I receive in my emails, reddit PM's, Moddb PM's and my Discord PM's that "Witcher" is the style that people want.

Having not played Witcher or indeed, even seen it, makes things very difficult for me to assess.

I have, through a friend, managed to get my hands on some of the concept art for Witchers interiors and, sadly, they appear to be nothing more than wattle and daub as expected.


The above is a concept model of a room of one of the larger houses in Caldera. I've been told that the wood panelling looks old and shagged out so it would be good for the poorer look? I like the rustic feel to it but I can't help wondering why the plaster (this is the vanilla texture) here would be stained so badly as Caldera is supposedly a new town.



This is another room I quite liked and may still use with a few saturation tweaks.


This model will be used for sure. (after a few faces have been removed that you will never see of course).

So far, the few interiors I am happy with I have managed to use all the NPC's belongings from vanilla and just transfer them directly to their new homes. The entrance markers etc have stayed the same but of course the interiors are very different so if any mod places an item in them it will be more than likely have to be patched or float they will!

Let us see what the day brings....





No comments:

Post a Comment

I've neglected Morrowind once again! The neck went wonky and I couldn't sit here wasting my life but...I did get a chance to finish ...